Ageing is a natural process and it is inevitable, but it is possible to slow down skin ageing by following a few rules. These seemingly small changes to your skincare routine and lifestyle can help you maintain your skin tone for longer and keep it looking youthful for longer.
- Practice safe sunbathing: About 90% of visible skin age changes are caused by the sun's rays. They contribute to wrinkles, loss of skin tone, discolouration, pigmentation and other age-related skin changes. To prolong your skin's youthful appearance, avoid direct sunlight and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects your skin from UVA and UVB rays.
- Add antioxidants to your daily skincare routine: Antioxidants protect our skin from free radicals and environmental pollution, oxidative stress. Choose a serum containing vitamin C or E, niacinamide (known as vitamin B3), resveratrol, ceramides or Coenzyme Q10.
- Moisturise your skin regularly: Hydration is the key to plump, glowing and firm skin. This also applies to oily skin - everyone needs hydration. Choose a cream texture that suits you. It can be a serum, an essence, a gel or a nourishing, thick cream. If your skin is very dry, add a few drops of oil to your cream.
- Go to sleep: Getting enough and good quality sleep allows our skin to regenerate and look fresh. Lack of sleep can cause inflammation of the skin, as well as blue circles under the eyes, bags, puffiness, dull and grey skin.
- Avoid using straws: Tightening the lips when drinking from a straw can cause nasolabial folds and wrinkles around the lips. Who would have thought that this new anti-straw movement could also have a positive effect on our appearance! :)
- Don't rub your eyes: Whether you're removing make-up, applying eye cream or rubbing your eyes when you're tired, be extra gentle around the eye area. The skin around the eyes is much more fragile than in other areas, so it is more prone to premature wrinkles.
Author: cosmetologist Kristiana Schnepste @kristiana.snepste